Tuesday, July 12, 2011

ONLY 8 MORE WORKDAYS LEFT!

My experience is definitely coming to a close. I am in my 8th week here and I only have 8 workdays left! The past couple of weeks at work have been good, I have been doing a lot of follow-ups with vendors who are interested in the events we offer. The deadline to sign up for these events is August 1st, that is coming up quickly. So a lot of what these weeks have been is finishing up discussions and attaining more event sponsorship. I just learned yesterday that we have surpassed opening revenues last year by 5,000 dollars so far and counting! This figure also doesn’t include all of the in-kind donations that some events we will be receiving.

I have been impressed with some local vendors and how much they want to contribute to ASU Fall Welcome events. At the very beginning of my experience Rebecca and I went to my very first vendor meeting with Sunflower Farmers Market. They are a local grocery store, that has really been great with sponsoring many events. There is a mini-bus called the Orbit that is free public transportation for students that drives to different spots that are close to campus. Sunflower Market is one of these stops. They had the idea to get in contact with the multiple places that the Orbit stops and join forces and sign up for our Welcome Zone. This way they would offset some of the costs and they will still be able to outreach to the Student Population. Sunflower is also participating in two other events, they donated 7,000 reusable bags to Passport to ASU which is there Student Organization and Resource Fair and they will be setting up and sponsoring a watermelon stand at the Tiki Luau which is an RHA sponsored event. They approached us with a lot of these ideas, so it was nice to see their creativity and willingness to show support and get involved.

As my experience is wrapping up I have set aside some time to setup some meetings with different people within University Housing. I have talked to one Associate Director of Residential Life and have another one setup for later this week. I will be talking to the Director of Residential Life on Monday, and then the Business Operations Manager on Tuesday. It is nice to hear some of their experiences and the different opportunities that are out there.

Over the weekend I took the time to go back out to Camelback Mountain to hike again. I went the very first full weekend I was here and I didn’t make it to the top. I said I would go back another time to hike to the top. So I achieved this goal this weekend! I left earlier in the morning so it was too hot, and I made it. I plan to post some pictures soon!

For my very last trip here…the Interns have planned a trip to Las Vegas this weekend. We will see how it goes, it should be fun! It will be nice to see everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment